Thursday, October 18, 2012

SilverCloud Stories Oct24 2pmET What happened. What I wish someone asked/told me. tlt.gs/SilverWkshpReg TLTGMembers Free


Question/guidelines for Silver Cloud Oct. 24, 2012 story presenters
Silver Cloud  - Revisioning and Supporting Retirement Transitions
“...what I really wish someone had told me.”   October 24, 31, 2012 at 2pm ET
+ 1 additional session date to be selected based on participants' interests and availability.

Offer stories, strategies, references, and research updates to:
  • Help Individuals - to identify and meet their own needs and find ways to continue to serve academia late in their professional lives.
  • Help Institutions - to improve their ability to support and effectively (and respectfully) use “Silver Cloudians”
FREE to TLT Group Individual Members & those affiliated with institutional subscribers!  Fee otherwise.
Also available by recording to registrants & TLT Group members


Question/guidelines for story presenters for October 24 session
What happened? "What i really wish someone had told me."  
Queries for planning  - recommendations for  others  to consider

 
  • What happened
    • Crises - good and bad luck?
    • External pressures or conditions that accelerated or postponed retirement
    • Intended and unintended steps toward and in retirement
    • Resources, including references and people, that I’ve found most helpful
    • Activities that I’ve found most satisfying
    • Conditions and activities that I’ve found most disappointing
  • “What I really wish someone had told me.”   
    • How far in advance should one begin thinking about and preparing?  Ideally?  Realistically?  What can be done if one begins significantly after the ideal time?
    • How to develop realistic, useful goals?  How to recognize irrelevant, unrealistic, or distracting goals?  
    • How to develop and select a few varied but useful scenarios - including but not limited to changing financial conditions?
    • Steps I’ve taken, situations I’ve encountered, that I can recommend most enthusiastically to others - that others can emulate.
    • Pitfalls I’ve encountered that I can identify and recommend ways to avoid
  • Queries for planning  - recommendations for  others  to consider  
    • Is it time to “revision” my life?  How?  What help is available?
    • How do I want to spend my time?  What kinds of activities will satisfy my commitment to continue to serve and be productive?  What do I mean by “productive”?  
    • How will I manage my less-structured time?
    • Which factors, conditions will most strongly shape my retirement goals and activities?  Support?  Restrict?   
    • What are some of the potential benefits and challenges of my social or family situation?



Photo of "Silver Lake, Florida: Sun behind clouds over the lake." 10 August 2008... "Author Ebyabe..."
[The following URL is for image edited by Steven W. Gilbert - cropped the original and added large question mark]

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/ImH01_qqfQgBx5UYzcgAHRaanl7VbUbSDt2_lbAKOL_TJ0XRSi5YGVpyQbiNFWoyZ062mhjbI1c
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4b/Silver_Lake_FL_sky01.jpg/512px-Silver_Lake_FL_sky01.jpg
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3ASilver_Lake_FL_sky01.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4b/Silver_Lake_FL_sky01.jpg
"Permission (Reusing this file)
By Ebyabe (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html), CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) or CC-BY-SA-2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5-2.0-1.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Own work, copyleft: Multi-license with GFDL and Creative Commons CC-BY-SA-2.5 and older versions (2.0 and 1.0)"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?